The University of California Riverside Avocado Rootstock Program is seeking for grower cooperators interested on participating and testing the new soon to be released UCR avocado rootstocks selections in Spring 2022!
UCR Rootstocks selections have been chosen by their performance under Phytophthora root rot high incidence, alkalinity, heat, and salinity tolerance. We are seeking growers in California to stablish two rootstock x scion field trials: i) 576 trees corresponding to Dusa, Toro Canyon, Stedoom, PP35, PP40, and PP80 UCR rootstocks grafted with Hass, Gem, Lamb_Hass, and Reed (24 trees/rootstock x scion combination); and ii) 600 trees corresponding to Dusa, PP35, PP40, and PP80 UCR rootstocks grafted with Hass, Gem, and Lamb_Hass (50 trees/ rootstock x scion combination). PP35, PP40, and PP80 are rootstocks with Phytophthora root rot resistance and exhibited good performance (tree health and yield) under high salinity and heat conditions.
In order to test our rootstocks under the best conditions, we would like that our cooperators meet the followings:
- Willing to have a long-time commitment for the research trial (10 years) in order to acquire the data required for release.
- Sites will be selected based on the diverse challenges your orchard has: Phytophthora root rot (PRR), salinity, and high alkalinity. Soil structure will be also considered especially for soils with low drainage and high saturation.
- Harvesting will be done in coordination with our research team and we would need that the grower provide assistance during the harvesting process. We also would prefer single stripping harvest.
- It is required that the field sites for the new experimental trials need them to be established in single growth areas and not between growers already existing avocado trees (not inter raw planting).
- Finally, we will require to have open access to the gates of the field where our material will be evaluated for our quarterly visits
If you are interested in being part of our rootstock evaluation, please contact Patricia Manosalva at email@example.com.